Glowing and radiant skin is desired by everyone, men and women alike. Especially owing to the deterioration of the environment, type of food we eat, and other lifestyle habits, your skin needs a lot of care. Beauty products are not helping much either, since they only work externally. People around the world practice yoga for glowing skin along with other health benefits.
The real effect on your skin can only be seen if your body is healed on the inside. Of course, medicines can do wonders, but to what extent? Because, medicines do come with side-effects and you would not want that; stacking one problem over another.
So, to counteract these problems, a much natural solution is required; something that does not cause any further complications to your organs. Understanding the situation in hand, many medical practitioners too are recommending, yoga for glowing skin. If you are asking how it works, then this is how the process of yoga for skin glow goes.
Yoga for Glowing Skin
When a person starts doing yoga, they do it for obtaining the physical benefits like losing weight, toning the body, or becoming more flexible. But, as you keep practicing, you understand more about the additional advantages that yoga can give. Every pose has different effects on your body and a different role to play.
Similarly, for the health of your skin. So here are some yoga poses that you should know about and how they can help you achieve a glowing skin.
1. Lotus Pose (Padmasana)
How to do Padmasana?
- To start Padmasana, sit in Dandasana
- Bend your knees inwards and get into a cross-legged position.
- Rest your hands on your knees, close your eyes, and breathe normally.
- Stay in the position for 10 minutes or till you feel calm.
- Practice this pose once every day for a calm mind and flawless face.
2. Child’s Pose (Shishuasana)
Child pose is a restorative pose that can help you alleviate problems of stress and anxiety, which are two of the many causes for unhealthy skin. Other than that, the pose also helps in eradicating physical and mental strain while improving circulation of blood in the muscles around the face and all over the body. It contributes to a healthy-looking skin.
- Start in Vajrasana
- Exhale and bend your body forward slowly until the crown of your head touches the floor.
- Place your hands backwards, where your toes are, and hold the pose for 30 seconds.
- You can use a pillow or a bolster to place in front of you if you have difficulty in bending forward.
1. Downward Facing Dog Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
Have you seen a dog stretching its body after a long nap? That is where the Downward Facing Dog got its name from. Being a semi-inversion, it increases the flow of blood to the head, which helps us in relieving any stress, the biggest enemy of beauty, lodged in our brains.
- Begin by doing the table pose. Keep your back straight, palms shoulder-width apart, and thighs together.
- Inhale, and push your hips up, until your knees are straightened and body take the shape of an inverted V.
- Ensure that your back is not rounded, and if it is, then you should bend your knees inwards a little so that the stretch in the hamstring lessens the effects.
- Hold the pose for a minute or till you are comfortable.
- Exhale and come back to the table top position slowly.
- Repeat the pose three more times.
2. Plow Pose (Halasana)
The Plow Pose is another inversion, if practiced every alternate day, it gives you the rosy glow to your skin. It helps in the anti-aging process, keeping your skin radiant and supple while also working on your fitness levels.
- Start by relaxing in Savasana.
- Bring your legs together and keep your arms by your side, with palms facing down.
- Inhale and raise your legs off the floor up to an angle of 90 degrees, with the help of your abdominal muscles.
- Keep breathing normally and push your legs back till your legs sweep up over your head at 180 degrees. Try keeping your back perpendicular to the floor.
- Hold the pose for a minute, exhale and bring your legs down. Try staying steady when you do so.
- Relax for 10 breaths when you come down and repeat 5 more times.
3. Intense Forward-Bending Pose (Uttanasana)
Another inversion, the Uttanasana expediates blood circulation to the face, increasing oxygen supply to the skin cells. It also supplies helpful nutrients to the facial area to heal any impairment that is caused by toxins in your food and the environment, in the process encouraging skin cell renewal.
- Stand in Tadasana with feet closed. Raise your arms overhead and shift your gaze to the sky.
- Slowly bend forward from the hip and try touching the ground.
- Keep your legs straight when doing the pose.
- Stay in the pose for 1 minute and raise your upper body up slowly.
- Come back to Tadasana and relax for 10 breaths. Repeat the pose 5 times more.
4. Shoulderxstand (Sarvangasana)
Like all inversions, the Shoulderstand too transfers enough blood to the head to improve your skin. Also, if you are looking for yoga for fair skin, then this is it. Here is how you can do it for maximum effect.
- Lie on your back to start with. Keep your hands on the floor by your side, with palms facing down
- Lift your legs and raise your hips off the floor. Use your hands to support your body. Rest your body’s weight on your shoulders.
- Stay in the position for 10 breaths.
- To release the pose, lower your spine back to the floor slowly.
- You can either bring down your legs straight down or bend your legs if required.
- Keep your head on the floor, rather than lifting it off the floor.
1. Bow pose (Dhanurasana)
The Bow pose controls the supply of oxygen to the entire body, which results in restoration of the skin cells. If you want to get rid of all the fine lines and toxins, because of aging, you should try this.
- To start with the bow pose, lie on your stomach, while keeping your hands on your sides, palms facing up.
- Bend your knees and push your feet towards your head.
- Raise your hands and clasp them around your ankles. As you do so raise your upper body, as though you are trying to bring your feet to your head. Your weight must rest on your torso.
- Stay in the pose for 10 breaths.
- To release, bring your upper body and feet down to the floor, as you gently release your grip from the ankles.
- Relax for 10 breaths and repeat 4 more times
2. Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
The cobra pose is a great back bend that opens your chest, allowing you to breathe better, which means more oxygen for your body. Since there is ample amount of oxygen in your blood it helps in detoxification. This process gradually rejuvenates your skin cells. If you have the problem of a double chin, this pose might be the best asana of yoga for a beautiful face. The stretching involved in the pose helps you get rid of double chin with great ease.
- To start with the Cobra pose lie flat on your stomach.
- Rest your hands on your elbows, directly under your shoulders.
- Inhale and use your hand to push your upper body off the floor, although ensuring that the navel is still touching the floor, such that your back is arched
- Hold the posture for 10 deep breaths.
- Exhale and release the pose by coming back to the initial position.
- Relax for another 10 breaths and repeat 5 times more.
3. Fish Pose (Matsyasana)
The Fish Pose is great for toning the neck and facial muscles as you stretch throughout the practice, helping you get a smooth and toned the skin.
- Lay on your back on your yoga mat.
- Keep your hands by your sides, with palms facing down.
- Next, push your head inwards and push your palms down to raise your torso off the floor, until you form an arch.
- Stay in the pose for 10 breaths.
- Release by lowering your torso and head onto the floor, ensuring that your spine is straight and aligned with your back.
- Rest for 10 more breaths and repeat 3 times more.
Deep Twists Pose
1. Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
If you want to improve blood and oxygen circulation in your body, the Triangle Pose can serve you best. The pose requires a lot of concentration and fosters flexibility. The deep twist and stretch involved in doing the pose is what creates the foundation of a beautiful glowing skin.
- To start, Stand in Tadasana. Move your legs to the sides, such that they are wide apart and toes are facing forward.
- As we begin, turn the right feet out to the right side.
- Raise your hands up to shoulder length and bend your body to the right. Try touching the floor behind your leg with your right hand.
- Your left hand should be raised above your head, push the hand further towards the right shoulder.
- Shift your gaze up to the ceiling.
- Stay in the pose for 10 breaths. Inhale and come back to Tadasana by bringing your feet together.
- Relax for 10 breaths. Repeat on the other side.
So, these were the 10-essential poses that you can add to your yoga routine, every day or alternately. Mix and match them around with other yoga poses to make your routine fun. It will take some time but eventually you will see that the results are only pleasing to the eye.
Additional Face Glowing Tips
Other than the internal process, there are some external regimes that you need to follow as well. Here are some more tips for you to follow.
When you wake up in the morning, before eating anything, drink at least 3 glasses of water. Doing this will help you in detoxifying, hydrating your body, and clearing your bowels. A clean and clear stomach will ensure that your acne goes away.
Even if you do not have the time to exercise or work on your yoga routine, spare at least 5 minutes of your time every morning to meditate. Meditation helps your brain function better throughout the day. It also helps you cope better with stressful situations and dealing with depression, or anxiety. Morning meditation also helps you in keeping your mind free of negative thoughts, which ultimately reflects on your face.
Warm Up Before Yoga Session
At the end of every yoga session, do not forget to cool down your body just like you would warm it up prior to the session. Always practice Shavasana towards the end of yoga practice for at least 5-10 minutes. It will help you relax all your body muscles including the facial muscles.
Try breathing exercises separately in your yoga sessions like the Kapalbhati Kriya, which is good especially if you are looking for yoga for clear skin. Being able to breathe better, at least once in a day can also make a huge difference to your body’s mechanism.
Yoga suggests eating foods that are Sattvic. This diet mainly consists of natural foods like vegetables, fruits, and boiled foods. Avoid as much junk and oily food as possible as they can build up a lot of toxins in the body. Eating Sattvic keeps the Agni within us alive and more responsive than when we consume Tamasic or Rajasic foods.
Clean Skin Before Sleeping
Do not forget to deeply cleanse your skin before you retire to bed. The amount of pollution and dust in the world today can cause a lot of damage to the skin in the long run.
Most importantly, get a good night’s sleep. Just as your body, your skin needs rest too. Give it that rest. Let the pores breath the healthy air
Sticking to the healthy and mindful regime will fulfill your dream of getting a healthy and glowing skin that you have always dreamt of, with the help of yoga for healthy skin. Seeing models on television with flawless complexions makes us just wonder about their makeup and beauty products. But, the saying is true. Beauty is skin deep. Your emotions, lifestyle, and eating habits are what that govern the way you live.
Beauty products today are full of chemicals and they might give us results for short-term happiness but for the longer duration they might just be harmful. So, the formula is being strict with yourself. Hydrate, moisturise, cleanse, exercise and do everything that can bar your skin from harm.
Yoga is a natural way without side effects and today many doctors are recommending doing it for an overall healthy skin. Additionally, it does not just work on one area but several other aspects as well like a healthier and stronger body, emotional wellness, toned body, and improved blood circulation.
It’s not too late to try, and neither is it too late to give up on everything that can ruin your life. So, adopt this natural process of getting beautiful skin not just on your face but your entire body as well. Yoga can do wonders, and you must try yoga for glowing skin to believe it.